Accra Ghana Temple

Accra Ghana Temple
Accra Ghana Temple

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Didn't Know Groundbreakings Could Be Fun!

This week we attended a groundbreaking ceremony at the property adjacent to the Accra Temple Complex.  Gregg will be supervising the construction of a new condominium complex that will house the Area Presidency, visiting General Authorities and others, including the DTA and his wife (that's me).  This building will also create a "buffer zone" around our beautiful temple.

I wondered when we moved into this home what the gold shovels in our garage were for.  Now I know; they are used for all sorts of things.  They were probably used for the groundbreaking of the Accra Temple.  And we keep them safely stored in our garage.

The contract calls for a 14 month completion on this 11,000 square foot building with six separate apartments.  It looks like it will be very nice, but not over the top.  So, June 2012 Gregg and Shannon will be moving into their new residence next to the Accra Temple.

 
We will miss this beautiful big home here at Coco Palms, but the convenience factor will be great!   Gregg can walk to work and walk home for lunch; we can walk to the temple, the distribution center, Family Home Evening, and church.

The construction contractors from an Italian company were at the groundbreaking, along with the local architectural firm.  The Area Presidency conducted and spoke at the 30 minute service; then we all got to turn some dirt.  

The Employee Choir sang, and they are quite good.  All in all, this was a very fun morning and I didn't know I would enjoy it so much. 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shannon...

    a few words if I may.

    1. Congratulations on the groundbreaking! How wonderful.

    2. The snails, the scorpions, the rats on a stick, etc. The snacks in Ghana are most unusual! Wow.

    3. I worked the night shift last noc. Dr. Stigge came in at 0630. I asked him if he was familiar with "F.T." as a form of treating C-diff. He said, "Yes I am. As a matter of fact, I perform one every morning" Gah! He didn't miss a beat. Soooo funny. He remembers you and said to say hello. So did Sandy, Jared and Ray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shannon,
    You don't know me but I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for information on Ghana. My daughter Katherine is there right now with a group of nursing students from BYU. She arrived yesterday and is in Abomosu for 10 days and then will be in Accra for the 10 days after that. Thank you so much for letting me look though your posts. She hasn't had a chance to send pictures so it was fun to see the markets and the roadside BBQ grass-cutter rats that she described in her letter home. May you and your family be blessed for you sacrifices. Thank you again, Miriam Cottam

    ReplyDelete