Accra Ghana Temple

Accra Ghana Temple
Accra Ghana Temple

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Elder Wheeler Arrives in Ghana

Elder Parker Wheeler arrived in Ghana on Friday May 13th.  His call is to the Ghana Cape Coast Mission.  We met him upon his arrival at the Accra, Ghana airport.  He is from our home ward, the Sterling Heights Ward, in Bountiful, Utah.  We discovered that he is the only Caucasian in his MTC group of 57 missionaries.  About half of the missionaries are from D.R.Congo and speak only French.  He will be in an English speaking District. 

For a 19 year old from Utah, arriving in West Africa can be a bit like traveling to a different planet.  It is very hot and humid this time of year and he is already noticing that he sweats all the time (we all do).  He has also noticed that the locals speak Engish with a different accent, so we all have to concentrate at first until we get used to the differences.  Gregg and I sit on the front row in church where we can read their lips.   

I am a Registered Nurse, so I help give injections at the Missionary Training Center just outside of Accra.  I went there with Gregg today to help give the first set of shots to the African missionaries.  Since Elder Wheeler has had all his shots, he became my band aid assistant.  He was just the help I needed.  I love being at the MTC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment