Accra Ghana Temple

Accra Ghana Temple
Accra Ghana Temple

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Batik Class with Esther

Five ladies and I headed to Adenta on Saturday to learn the art of batik from our dear friend Esther.  I have come to be grateful for an iPad with a map feature; we never got lost once!  Here is Esther with the wall of batik stamps (foam blocks with a design carved into them).  The hardest part of batiking was choosing which stamps to use and what 3 colors of dye to experiment with.  The rest was just fun.  


For me it went like this.
Step 1:  Stamp the design with parafin wax on the white fabric.
Step 2:  I chose to dye the fabric blue and it was laid it out to dry on the grass (it is amazing to watch the color change as the fabric dries).


Step 3:  Stamp a different design with parafin wax on the blue fabric.
Step 4:  Next I chose to dye the fabric purple and it was laid it out to dry on the grass.


Step 5:  Stamp a different design with parafin wax on the purple fabric.
Step 6:  I chose to dye the fabric dark purple and it was laid out on the grass to dry (it turned navy blue - oh well).
Fortunately, we had help with the dying process which really requires rubber boots, gloves, and apron.  We also had help with the final step which is dipping the fabric in a boiling cauldron to remove the wax for reuse.


I'm happy with the outcome; I think all six of us are.  I have a great kitchen tablecloth! 


Our amusement for the day was this little fellow, who was only tied up because we were there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment